Sunday, October 28, 2012

Unannounced Emotions


Experiences can be tried to be detailed described, but you can never fully explain what you felt. As I have learned in my psychology class, one can´t describe an emotion.

Teacher: How did you feel when they gave you a puppy?
Student: Great!
Teacher: How does great feel?
Student: Well I don’t know, I mean I felt happy.
Teacher: But how does being happy feel?
Student: Like ecstasy.
Teacher: And once again how does ecstasy feel?

The teacher could have kept that conversation for hours. My point is that no matter how detailed your story is, the person is never going to feel what you did. You can try to put in the other persons shoes, but what might be happy for me can be sad for others.
Still by telling shocking stories it becomes an easier task to manipulate your audience. Emotions are a very powerful weapon that depending on how you use them it can help you win an argument or might drawn you down the drain. As Heinrich states, “The more vividly you give the audience the sensations of an experience, the greater the emotion you can arouse” (80). Telling a story always helps change the mood of the person. Depends on how you want your audience to react, you either exaggerate it or make it simpler. As emotions can be very useful you have you have self-control because the persuader that displays her emotions will immediately lose.



Even though I’ve been through a lot with my accident of my arm, I have also taken advantage of it. Every time I tell the story the people start telling me compliments and admiring me. They even offer to help me in everything; even on carrying my bag from class to class. It’s been three months since my accident and still everyone asks if I need any help. Whenever I made a mistake or failed a test I would blame my arm and every one would understand why I failed. The moment I start talking about my arm everyone stops joking and the attention is on me. With this I realized how easy it is to manipulate your audience when you have a shocking experience.
So far this tool seems, to me, to be the most effective one and the easiest to achieve. With it comes belief, storytelling, volume control, simple speech, anger, patriotism, emulation, and unannounced emotions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment