Thursday, March 14, 2013

Controlling Your Life


People are in a constant struggle of expressing themselves to others. Speaking about your feelings is a hard thing to do, but writing them out is not. What better way to tell portions of your life through words? Not only can you talk about yourself, but you can control what to say. You can modify some parts of your life, as well as lie about others. No one is ever going to know whether you lied or were actually telling the truth, as long as your lie is credible. Just as David Shields states, “There´s no longer any such thing as fiction or nonfiction; there´s only narrative (110). The freedom to express ourselves has gone out of hands: we can no longer differ the truth from the lies.



Last semester as I was writing my memoir I kept thinking to my self which details I should include and which ones I should leave out. I could control exactly what I wanted to reveal to the audience. I had the total power. Even though I poured out mostly every part of the accident, I still left some important parts out. But who is going to notice? No one is ever going to know exactly what I felt at the time. Through out memoirs people can express themselves easily and try to be understood by others.
This is also shown on Michael Kimball´s post cards, which shows the lives of others. He hears stories and then puts them into post cards. Yet, the speaker is only going to tell what he wants as well as Michael is only going to draw what he pleases. So, does these post cards really demonstrate a real life event? 




No comments:

Post a Comment